Monday, August 27, 2012

Percentiles & polyhedrons

Ooh those pretty dice. How exotic where they?
It seems a shame not to use all the funny shaped dice, but for the core mechanics at least I am a big fan of percentile dice. Rest assured I will find something for those polyhedral pretties to do, but for now let me extol you with the virtues of the d100.




First up it's old school! DnD originator Dave Arneson also favored the d100 in his co-authored sequel to DnD, Adventures in Fantasy.
My departure is going with a roll under system for tests. With a roll- under system, calculating odds is a no-brainer. I am all for no brainers me being somewhat dim witted myself. If the DM says you have a 20 percent chance of making a leap, its easy to visualize the risk your taking.
Roll under is my favored method as gives instant results. Need 8 or less to hit? Rolled a..... 02! (cheers!)
Rather than a... rolled a 18, plus five, plus uh... Two, minus one... 24. Did I hit? Dm:yes (cheers!)
You get a good suspense/payoff with roll under.
For D'hundred Rolling equal or under the odds given by the DM is a hit. Over is a fail.
To add a little granularity, if you roll double digits, the result is a double fail or double success (aka major fail/success).
This gives 10% of fails and successes as doubles. Therefore, the higher the odds of success the more likely of getting a double success, the less likely a double fail.
I think rolling a natural 00+0 ('undred) may give you a critical success, and 99 a critical fail.
Minor fails result usually in the DM putting the character to a worse position than before.
Jump for a ledge? Fail? You catch the ledge by your hand. Fail again? You slip to your fingertips. Another? Bye, bye!

Lets look at quality next...

No comments:

Post a Comment